Accessibility Tools

Logo Förderhinweise

Carl Lehmanns Wwe & Sohn cloth factory with a production building (building D), administration building, wool warehouse (building A) and a historical wall

Historical Monuments

Carl Lehmanns Wwe & Sohn cloth factory with a production building (building D), administration building, wool warehouse (building A) and a historical wall


A historic factory complex located on the banks of the Nysa River, of which only single buildings and remains of the brick fence have survived to this day. The main factory is a monumental six-storey building made predominantly from reinforced concrete. Its key landmarks are huge tower-like staircase at the front and are divided by metal grates windows. The masonry wool storage building was closed with a gable mansard roof. Between the factory building and the warehouse there is a neo-baroque administrative and residential building of the former cloth factory. The complex is closed by a large, double-leaf wooden gate with iron fittings.

Historical background

The cloth industry in Guben has a centuries-old tradition. One of the most memorable local companies started its activity as early as 1592, and its internationally recognized name is Fa. C. Lehmann's Wwe. & Sohn has been wearing since 1885. It was the largest cloth factory in Guben, engaged in almost all stages of cloth and clothing production.

The main branch of the enterprise was located in an industrialized urban part of the city, bordered to the east by the Neisse River. Due to its sky-high cubature and the rather unfortunate plot choice (the foundation was placed on a sandy therefore moving base), the building was often damaged and required regular renovation works. In 1938, the company was expanded through a forced fusion with a expropriated by the Nazi authorities, Jewish company "Reissner Wohl & Co. Nachf. " The Jewish part of the name was removed from the commercial register in July 1941, and the cloth company itself was renamed "Bärentuch-Werke". Considering the fact that only 1% of Guben’s Semite population survived the shoah, the owners could be murdered around the time of the of the rebranding.

In 1936, the owner of the company was Carl Ernst Lehmann. Under his leadership, until 1945, the company was a leader in the production of fabrics for coats, with about 250 looms and 1,200 employees. In 1948 it was renamed VEB Gubener Wolle and taken over into the hands of the state. The company operated until the fall of the Berlin Wall.


Alte Post Str. 9/10, 03172 Guben, Germany

Year of creation/if applies changes


Investor/architect/creator etc.
Investor: Carl August Lehmann
Object's condition
Technical information

Building a factory

Material: brick, wrought iron

Technique: reinforced concrete structure


Warehouse building

Material: brick

Technique: iron structure, brick filling


Administrative building

Technology: massive, plastered

Practical Information

No entry