The building of the Deulowitz manor house is a two-storey, plastered structure, closed with a mansard hipped roof. Rectangular windows are decorated with a simple plaster border. The main entrance, slightly extended in relation to the main body, is accessible from the top of a small terrace. Above the entrance there is a sandstone plaque with the coat of arms of the alliance of the builder von Elterlein and his wife Friederike Charlotte Tugendreich von Klitzing, with the year of construction 1788 and the surname »P. J. Dittrich «for the Dresden court sculptor Philip Jacob Dittrich. On the north side of the street there is a winter garden with French doors and stairs leading to the garden. Above the entrance to the winter garden, there are three bay windows on the long side of the building, and two bay windows on the narrow side, topped with gable roofs.
The manor was built in 1788 as part of the estate of Johann August von Elterlein. The building was built on the west side of the former rural road. Already in 1799, the building was sold to the Helmigek family, who owned it until the mid-19th century. Then the owners changed several times. In the 1920s, the property belonged to Carl Rudolf Bergmann, the owner of a factory in Berlin. In socialist times, the manor initially belonged to the district council of Guben, serving from April 1, 1950, as a retirement home. In 1993, the German Society for Aid for Seniors and Aid for Sick (Ger.: Deutsche Seniorenförderungs- und Krankenhilfegesellschaft (DSK)) took over the building from the county of Spree-Neisse. The current manager of the facility, the company "Pro Seniore Residenz", after carrying out comprehensive renovation and modernization works, began in 2006 to offer a full range of services in the manor house for seniors who do not want or are not able to live independently. A park and an unlisted L-shaped building, situated in relation to the manor house in its northwest, were also put into use. However, the original landscape architecture with the historic courtyard has not been preserved.
For two centuries, the owners of the knightly and noble estates from the Deulowitz manor determined the fate of the local population. The manor house is a good example of the magnate mansions typical of this region, which were built in Lower Lausitz around 1800. The exception to this simplicity is the coat of arms above the main entrance, a sculptural work of a little-known artist from the end of the 18th century.
Alt-Deulowitz 26, 03172 Guben, Germany
Technique: brick building
Coat of arms: relief sandstone
The property (park, neighborhood), except the residence/retirement home, can be visited all day