Due to its location and historical value, the hydroelectric power plant is one of the most characteristic tourist attractions of Guben and Gubin. Its one-hall building with all hydrotechnical elements is located right next to the border bridge connecting both cities. Originally, the main building of the power plant was designed in the neoclassical style, which was very popular at that time. The first modernization works performed in 1927 led to a significant simplification of its form. Thus, the characteristic double cornice was replaced with a completely simple, partially plastered attic; At that time, simple window details were enriched with pediments resembling the gables of town houses, connecting two window openings at the same time. The main hall itself, previously fully symmetrical, is now equipped with an additional annex with a descent to the weir.
Earlier, until 1900, a large city mill stood on the site of the current hydroelectric power plant, the foundations of which were damaged at the end of the 19th century by another flood. Probably due to the progressing industrialization and the commencement of the use of an electric generator on a global scale, the city authorities of Guben decided to demolish the non-operating mill and build a modern power plant powered by the waters of the Lusatian Neisse.
The building, along with the entire hydrotechnical architecture, was put into use on 04.05.1904. From that moment, Guben was supplied with electricity generated by generators with four turbine sets with a total power of 1000 kW. In 1927 the first major technical modernization was made. Along with the destruction of the main bridge over the Nysa Łużycka River in 1945, the weir was also damaged, thus leading to the shutdown of the power plant. Both buildings were not repaired until 1957, thus including the facility in the Dychów Hydroelectric Power Plant.
In the years 1970 and 1974, the power plant underwent further modernizations, and from 2012 to 2013, a comprehensive renovation.
Currently, the facility belongs to PGE Energia Odnawialna S.A., which has equipped it with 3 Kapłan type turbines, produced in Poland, supplying electricity not only to Gubin itself, but also to some apartments in Guben.
Chopina 1a, 66-620 Gubin, Poland
Length: 27 m
Width: 18 m
The facility is only accessible to visitors from the outside