Accessibility Tools

Logo Förderhinweise

Berthold's Lissner villa

Historical Monuments

Berthold's Lissner villa


The villa is a two-storey, L-shaped rendered building with a Berlin roof. The street-side façade is structured vertically by ashlar lenses and horizontally by belt and cornices. The seven-axis street frontage is staggered in depth: on the left is a two-axis corner projection with a staircase in front and a side entrance, with the door and window being combined by a roof. Above the strong bracket-supported eaves cornice a dormer with a triangular gable and two arched windows can be seen. In the middle the slightly recessed, four-axis component is located. The windows on the ground floor are closed with a roof; those on the upper floor with a triangular gable. The main, portico-like entrance with a double door and skylight is on the right of the building. In addition, two stucco-decorated ox eyes adorn the main entrance to the left, columns to the right and a horizontal canopy with a bay window from above. Garland-decorated ox eyes and bay windows can also be found on the west side of the property. In addition, coupled and mirror windows with balusters on the ground floor can be seen here. The last main representative elements of the villa are the side wing and the rear courtyard side, on the other hand, are unadorned with dormer windows.

The entrance area inside the building is meant to impress the visitors: a groined vault, marble wall cladding, stairs and balustrade made, colored stained-glass windows as well as a sweeping, spacious staircase to the upper floor are to be seen right after entering the building.

Historical background

After acquiring the property from the Märkisch-Posener-Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft in 1881, Otto H. Schultze built the villa in 1882 as master builder and builder at the same time. From 1897 the property was owned by Berthold Lissner, a Jewish hat manufacturer, who was forced to sell the property in 1938. After the end of the 2nd World War, around 1947 it was sold by cloth manufacturer Albert Richter. During the German Democratic Republic, the villa belonged to the Socialist Unity Party of Germany. After the reunification, it was used shortly as an employment office, but then stood empty for a long time. In 2004 it was sold to a private investor. Nowadays it accommodates i.a. an event technology service provider nieARTich.


Alte Post Str. 32, 03172 Guben, Germany

Year of creation/if applies changes

Date of completion: 1882

Investor/architect/creator etc.
Master builder and client: Otto H. Schultze
Object's condition
Needs extensive renovation
Technical information

Technology: massive, plastered

Practical Information

The villa is situated about a 10-minute walk from the Guben train station and 3 minutes from the Plastinarium. As it is a private property, it can only be visited from the outside.