The historic station building was designed in an arcade style (Ger.: Rundbogenstil). It consists of several elongated brick buildings with arched windows, doors, friezes, and cornices. The main two-story hall is closed with a hipped roof. A station clock was located in the top of the frontal gable. The roof of the second platform is a so-called tow roof, and rests on cast iron supports, with boarding underneath. The flat roof over the third platform was based on steel supports. The water tower is an octagonal structure with a slightly protruding, flat roof - the whole building is about 20 meters high and, apart from the roof, made of plastered brick.
On the square and the road in front of the train station a bus stop, touristic safe deposit boxes, 2 e-charging stations, and parking places are located.
In 1843, the first public-private company in Prussia, Lower Silesian-Margraviate of Brandenburg Railway (Ger.: Niederschlesisch-Märkische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft), received a concession to build a railway line from Frankfurt (Oder) to Wrocław as part of the Doussier project - one of the most important stops on this line was supposed to be Guben. Beginning in 1866, the Margraviate of Brandenburg-Poznań Railway built a second line from Guben to Bentschen (and later to Cottbus), transforming the station into a four-way railway junction. The previously used, small building was replaced by a large New Departure and Arrival Hall, built in the then historicizing arcaded style. At the same time, a water tower and a large steam engine house were additionally built. In 1924, the so-called The Royal Main Workshop (Ger.: Königliche Hauptwerkstatt) was completely burnt down in a fire. During World War II, the station was repeatedly attacked by the Allies and Soviet armies. Due to serious damage to the tracks, engine sheds, station buildings and water tower, the operation of the railway had to be suspended for several months after the end of the war. Traffic was gradually resumed from July 1945 until its full normalization in 1948. Passenger traffic across the German-Polish border was slowly restored in the following decades.
Bahnhof Str. 9, 03172 Guben, Germany
Opening of the station: 1846
Opening of the hall and waiting room: 1871
Arrival and departure hall
Material: red brick, glass, wood
Roofing of the tracks
Material: cast iron, iron, wood
Height: 20 m
Diameter: approx. 10 m
Material: plastered brick