The former Evangelical church in Sękowice is one of the most interesting examples of the architecture of frame buildings in the Lubuskie Province. This multi-storey, half-timbered building from the second half of the 17th century was designed on an octagonal plan and based on a high foundation with a simple arrangement of mullions and transoms, reinforced in the structure of the outer walls with swords. The interior is held together by a joist ceiling. The main part of the building was closed with a triple, octagonal mono-pitched roof, the parts of which were successively supported by walls, dams, and lanterns. The sacristy built on the eastern side was covered with a simple shed roof, and the southern annex with a fragile gallery and an entrance to the galleries was topped with an irregular three-slope roof. In two axes of the main body and the sacristy there are windows, mounted in the very list of the outer walls - the windows in the rest of the annexes were placed irregularly in relation to them. The whole thing is topped with a profiled cornice.
Inside the temple, you can see Renaissance tombstones, a Baroque altar, and a baptismal font from the second half of the 17th century. On the horizontal gallery, in the panels of its balustrades, there are illustrations of the next stages of the Way of the Cross from the 1960s.
This unusual sacred building was built in the second half of the 17th century on the site of an older Evangelical church. In 1813 and the beginning of the 20th. century, the building has undergone extensive renovation, which, however, did not prevent the building from almost falling into ruin. For this reason, in the years 2007-2014, comprehensive renovation and conservation works were carried out, restoring the church to its original, unique form.
As it was originally an Evangelical church, the church was consecrated on February 24, 1946 to the needs of the Catholic community.
The village of Sękowice in the Gubin municipality
66-620 Sękowice, Poland
2nd half of the 17th century
Material: Brick, wood, clay
The church can be viewed from the outside all day long, but it is open only on Sundays from 09:45 to 10:30.