The Church of the Holy Trinity is the oldest Catholic parish church in Gubin, established for the needs of a growing religious community, in a city dominated by Protestants at that time. The present form of the building is the result of the expansion of a small Neo-Gothic church from the second half of the 19th century and enlarging it with an apse, sacristy, a large arched entrance portal from the Teichborn Str. side (today Królewska Str.), the insertion of large windows ended with a double sharp arch and the functionality of the church was improved by increase in the number of seats from 140 to 250. The building was finished with red clinker.
The history of the church dates back to 1853, when a plot of land was purchased at Haag Str. 9 (today's Grunwaldzka Str.) for the construction of a small church. Three years later, the rectory was completed, which housed a small church and school room. Thanks to the financial support of the metropolitan bishop of Wrocław, the parishes of Linz, Paderborn and Wrocław, and the commitment of the Catholic community of only 200 people, which survived and survived the Reformation period, the necessary amount was collected for the construction of a large temple. In 1858, the construction of a neo-gothic church was started on the higher part of the plot, with the original entrance from the Haag Str. side, to which a 72-step, quite steep staircase led.
Due to the dynamically growing number of Catholic believers, within 25 years from the establishment of the temple, their number increased to approx. 1,200, which resulted in the need to enlarge the church to its present size. These efforts began as early as 1914 but were interrupted by the First World War. The extension was completed in 1936, and on August 30 that year the building was consecrated by Cardinal Bertram from Wrocław.
During the war in 1945, the church tower was destroyed and rebuilt right after the end of the war. To this day, the remains of the tower lie on the garden plot on the northern side of the church.
Królewska 1, 66-620 Gubin, Poland
Rectory with a church and school hall: 1856
Original building: 1858, enlarged to its present size in 1936
Construction material: brick
Available for sightseeing outside 24/7